Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Giggles, Jabbers, and Song Requests

Desmond’s language is really taking off.  He has quite the little vocabulary with new words popping up daily, I think.  He’s also quite skilled at keeping himself awake for naps these days.  I finally got him down for his afternoon nap and had to share our giggles with you.

Desmond has been up in his crib happily jabbering and laughing to himself for almost an hour. Everything has been thrown out of the crib by this time except for his special “bay-det” that he’s chewing the corner of.  I open the door and quietly tell him it is time to go to sleep.  I pick him up and go sit in the rocking chair.  He just giggles at me.  “Shhh,” I tell him.  “Ssss,” he giggles back.  I start singing softly to him, “Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are” but he starts singing along, “Upa,” he says with a big smile.  Okay, maybe I should skip his favorite and do a different song, and I’ll just hum it this time so he’ll quiet down.  I start to hum, “Rock-a-bye Baby” since, strangely enough, I’ve only recently introduced it to him, but when I get to the “when the wind blows” part, he laughs and starts blowing.  Great!  He still hears the words in his head!  Here we go, I haven’t sung this one in a little while.  I softly sing the words, “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make…”  “Appy!” he chimes in.  What?!  I can’t help but laugh out loud which only sets off his giggles again, too.  “It’s time to sleep, okay?,” I remind him.  “Eeep!” “Yes, you need to sleep,” I reply, trying in vain to keep a straight face.  “Geekle, geekle,” he says smiling up at me.  Oh, a song request is it?  Back to the favorite.  “Okay,” I said, “but you need to close your eyes.”  He squeezes his eyes shut and stuffs the soaked corner of his blanket back in his mouth.  I quietly sing “Twinkle, Twinkle” again and by the third time through he’s snoring and doing the cute dream smiles.  Whew!  I carefully lay him down and sneak out.  Silly boy!