Wednesday, October 06, 2010

The Little Red Hen

On our walk back from Safeway this morning Desmond and I - no kidding - found a young little red hen along the side of the road. It was clucking and hunting for bugs and hoped we had food. I couldn't just leave it there to wander into traffic, and I knew a guy had roosters down the road about a block and a half and I wondered if it had come from there. We turned around to walk back to this house, and the little red hen followed us. I was calling to it, "Here, chick, chick, chick," and it would come running. Desmond was laughing. Gotta say I felt a little silly coaxing a chicken to follow me down the sidewalk of a busy street. I was concerned about getting it to follow me across the crosswalk when we came to a side street but the chicken finally crossed the road. We got to the house with the roosters and the guy was working outside. He said he wasn't missing a chicken but could use one unless we wanted to keep it. I'm not ready to take on a pet right now so we left it in good hands and it was getting fed as we left. I wonder if we'll see it on future visits to our park which is adjacent to the rooster house.