Friday, March 30, 2012

The First Ten Minutes

Someone asked me recently if I felt like I had the “mother-of-two” thing down now that we’re nearing Kaylynn’s first birthday.  And the answer is yes… and no.  Most of the time I feel in control and I know I can handle whatever comes.  Other days my limits are pushed.  I’m thankful for the days where I’ve had enough rest so even though the kids are pushing it, I’m calm.

Take this morning for instance: I ask Desmond if he wants eggs for breakfast or something else.  He opts for something else so I make enough eggs for Davin and me.  As soon as Desmond sees Daddy going out the door with his eggs he decides he wants some now.  I check.  I double check.  Yep, he wants eggs, so I fire up the stove again and crack the last two eggs.  Just as the eggs are going in the pan Desmond starts to cry because he doesn’t want eggs.  He proceeds to scream, and so he has to sit on his chair in the laundry room until he calms down.  I finish cooking the eggs, clean up Kaylynn from her breakfast and sit her in the play room with a huge tub of toys.  Back to Desmond.  I calmly talk to him and we discuss ways he could have talked to me differently.  I’ve been in there for maybe one minute when I hear a bump, thump, bump, bang and Kaylynn starts wailing.  Ack!  I rush to the playroom expecting to see the toy bins on top of her, but no, she has left the playroom, climbed who knows how far up the stairs and fallen.  It doesn’t take long to calm her down, and I can tell she was more scared than hurt.  Deep breath!  I finish my conversation with Desmond, sit him down to eat his eggs, put up the gate, give Kaylynn a bottle of milk and look at the clock.  Davin’s only been gone about ten minutes – ten minutes down, 540 to go.  It’s okay.  Today God is giving me peace and I know today can get better.