Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Flu, Sleep Training, and First Foods

We've been hit by the flu. I was the first one to come down with it a week and a half ago. Kaylynn, Brielle, Desmond, and Davin all got it in succession with Emberly thankfully being the lone hold out. It's been a doozy. We are all much better, but it's still holding on. Lots of coughs and runny noses. I think as of yesterday we're finally done with fevers. I'm ready for my energy to return.

To help with my energy, I reviewed the book Babywise. We've been doing the feed, wake time, sleep cycle since the beginning, but it's time to get it more scheduled by the clock so I can better plan my day and hopefully sleep through the night with the goal to get to the gym in the mornings. (I've got to get a move-on with these extra 50 lbs to lose.)

In conjunction with the sleep training, I've also introduced solids to Emberly. She kept sticking her tongue out at first and still occasionally clamps her little lips shut so I can't get the spoon in, but bananas turned her around. She volunteered to open her mouth for that. Her first foods include oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bananas, peaches, and squash. A new chapter has begun!

Now that her tummy is more full and her daytime naps are fairly predictable, I'm hopeful that a full night's rest will become the norm. She was in the habit of getting up at 1 and 5 to eat every night leaving two very tired parents, but last night she only woke up at 3 and was satisfied to go back to sleep when her binky was put back in. She slept 11 hours straight. We'll see how tonight goes.